Monday, January 18, 2010

Good-Bye, Denise posted on Examiner.com


This is 1 of 2 Stories Honoring Black History Month and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

This story is a piece of historical fiction. The friend of Denise exists only in the author’s imagination. My purpose in writing this story is to promote discussions among school children of an actual event of history. I hope that they will begin to become aware of what type of atrocities was committed not that long ago. The young children of today are condemned to repeat history if they cannot learn from it. This story is written in graphic style to force the listeners and readers to think and become more aware.

When I was in 5th grade, in 1969, one of my school friends died on the last day of school. She was hit by a car and died instantly. It was my first real experience with death. My friends and I were very upset and confused!

Six years earlier, in 1963, one fifth-grade girl and three eighth-grade girls died in a church in Birmingham, Alabama. They were killed by a bomb! Read what happened from the perspective of Denise’s best friend in this historical fiction tale.

Click on DR MARTIN LUTHER KING JR to read the entire story on Examiner.com.

Picture info: This is the book cover for the 1990 out-of-print book that I self-published under my former married name: Debbie Rauch. My illustrator was Dusty Araujo.

No comments:

Post a Comment